Do you drink alcohol on regular basis? If you are a heavy drinker, many times you might have faced stomach aches or stomach pain after drinking alcohol. Stomach pain is very common experience faced by a lot of people who are heavy drinkers. Drinking excessive amount of alcohol can cause stomach pain as well as it can also damage the lining of the stomach, gallbladder and liver. It interferes with your digestive system by making your stomach to produce more acid than usual. Damage to the stomach lining further can cause stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
There are actually two substances that that normally irritate the lining of the digestive system. These two components are caffeine and alcohol. In people who drink alcohol in excess amount, the case of stomach pain is usually harmless and can cause really severe pain. Stomach pain after drinking alcohol can cause some health complications. Alcohol is actually a chemical substance that is rapidly metabolized in the body and is known to generate reactive oxygen species. As it is a pro-oxidant, it causes oxidative damage to the cells and tissues in the gastrointestinal tract. Alcoholism can cause shrinkage of the gastric lining which decreases the secretion of gastric acids. The loss of gastric acids can increase the risk of gastric infection and cause stomach pain.
Alcohol consumption can also trigger inflammation of the pancreas which can cause severe abdominal pains. Chronic alcoholism can cause liver damage which further may cause inflammation, liver enlargement and abdominal pain. These are the reasons why you feel stomach pain after drinking alcohol. The question that arises –what to do when your stomach starts paining after drinking alcohol? So, here is the solution.
After a night of heavy drinking, stomach pain and other hangover symptoms can create a really severe problem for you. Although these may sometimes resolve on their own, there are some ways to reduce the pain and settle stomach pain.
- Drinks a lot of water -: Water is the ultimate cure for hangovers. Deficiency of water in the body can cause dehydration which can cause stomach pain after drinking alcohol. Water is also ideal before going to bed after drinking alcohol. Drinking a lot of water also prevent the damage from occurring in your stomach.
- Consume the foods that can dry the acids-: Stomach pain after drinking alcohol is caused by the increased acid levels in the stomach. Eating dry foods will soak this acid and thus stop the stomach ache. Salty crackers or a piece of toast are the good choices for this method.
- Eat bananas -: Bananas are one of the healthiest foods on this planet. Bananas are loaded with vitamins and minerals which help in reducing the stomach pain. Vitamin B is the most commonly lost vitamin after drinking alcohol. Vitamins and minerals present in the bananas help to compensate for this loss.
- Taking pickles –: Pickles are also known as the good for reducing stomach pain after drinking alcohol. Pickles actually supply the body with vitamin A, potassium, iron, manganese as well as calcium. These minerals content calm a paining stomach.
- Drinking ginger tea –: Ginger tea is another effective way for alcoholism. Ginger tea can be made from the ground ginger or ginger tea bags. It is really helpful in stomach aches. You only need to take 2 ginger roots and then peel it. Boil some ginger slices in hot water for 15-20 minutes. You can also add some lemon juice to add taste.
- Taking vitamin B supplements -: Vitamin B supplements can replenish the lost vitamin B and repairs the body’s nervous system. This will also reduce the stress and aid in digestion too.
- Taking non-acidic fruit juice -: Drinking alcohol causes the loss of vitamins and also dehydrate your body. Drinking the juice of non-acidic fruits help in compensating the levels of acids in the stomach. So, avoid the common choices of apple juice and orange juice and drink non-acidic fruits juice.
- Eat before drinking -: This is the simplest way of reducing the stomach pain. Whenever you drink, eat something before drinking. It will stop the fast absorption of alcohol.
As you all know drinking alcohol is hazardous for your health. So, the best option is to stop drinking. It will protect you from the attack of the number of health issues. We know that it is really confronting task but not impossible. If you still drinking and experience stomach pain after drinking alcohol, you should adopt the above strategies to settle your stomach aches.